THERE ARE serious doubts about the playing future of Benson Stanley after he suffered yet another concussion.
Coach Pat Lam says there is a “good chance” the 27-year-old will not play for the Blues again this season after he took a knock to the head during the Auckland-based side’s 59-12 loss to the Crusaders in Christchurch last Saturday.
Concussion is a problem that has plagued Stanley during his playing career and his latest case has cast serious doubts about his future.
Lam says the three-test All Black remembers little from the game and will be monitored closely in the coming weeks.
“It's a concern – another concussion – he's had a few now,” he says.
“He hasn't had one this year, but on the back of the one he had with Auckland last year, there is concern.
“The medical team are monitoring that and he'll go through the normal protocols. He could be out for a while.”
Asked if he would be ruled out for the rest of the season, Lam says: “A good chance. It's not definite, but we've just got to prepare that that is the case.”
If he is ruled out for the remainder of the season, then Stanley would’ve played his last game for the Blues, as he has signed with French club Clermont.
In more positive news, Lam says Rudi Wulf (shoulder) and Chris Lowrey (concussion) could return from their respective injuries for this Saturday night’s clash against the Highlanders at Eden Park.
The Blues will name their team on Thursday.« Back to Articles
This weekend throws up another set of games which could go either way.
Which player was unlucky not to make the Wallabies’ preliminary squad for the British and Irish Lions series?